Stylish marriage couple get out of the c

This page will provide you with EVERYTHING you need to know about obtaining your marriage license in Nevada.


"But I am getting my marriage license in my home state and bringing it with me."



You MUST obtain your marriage license in the STATE you are getting married in. If having your home state on your paperwork is super important, then you will have to have the legal ceremony at home, example: the courthouse. Then when you come to Las Vegas your ceremony here will simply be a vow renewal. Many couples do this. Many couples don't even tell their guests that they are already legally married. If this is the route you choose to take be sure to tell me so that I can inform all the vendors and your officiant to keep it hush on the wedding day.

"Okay, I'm fine with having a Nevada marriage license. How do I get one?"

You can easily apply for a marriage license online, but this only can be done when you are within 3 months from your wedding date. So if at the time you are reading this and your wedding is MORE than 3 months away, this is not something you need to do at the moment. If your wedding is within 3 months of reading this, visit this HERE and complete your online application. There is no fee for this.

You arrive in Las Vegas, now what? You and your future hubby / wifey will visit the Clark County Marriage License Bureau located in downtown Las Vegas (201 East Clark Ave.) with $77.00 and your valid (not expired) driver's license or passport.  They will pull up your online application, ask you some questions, print you your paperwork, and hand it over to you in a white envelope.  No blood test, no waiting period.  Do not lose this envelope as this must be presented to your wedding officiant in order for you to have a wedding!

Important:  This is not a task to be done an hour before your ceremony start time so please handle this no later than the day before your wedding.  I'm looking at you my sweet chapel couples!  If you have a reservation for a wedding chapel most chapels will require this paperwork in their hands the day before the event.

Two of the three documents inside of your envelope are the legal marriage documents which will be signed by your wedding officiant.   This is official proof that they legally performed your wedding and that you are legally wed.  These two documents will be hand delivered by your officiant to the recorders office.  Once the recorders office receives these documents they will be recorded and become available online for you to order the certified copies.  You must allow up to TEN business days for your records to appear online. The third document in your envelope is your souvenir marriage certificate. This is only for show, it is not the legal certificate.  You will get this back before you leave your wedding venue as a nice memento to take home.


"So what happens once the marriage certificate is recorded?"


You can now order how ever many copies of your Certified Marriage Certificate as you want.  In certain situations you will also need a Certified Marriage License or an Apostille.  These are explained below:

Certified Marriage Certificate - Everyone will need this.  This is not only required for name changes, but also required by the DMV, Social Security Office, INS, and adoption services.  If you order one copy and down the road need a second copy, don't worry you can always order more.

Certified Marriage License - If you were previously married and wish to change your name you will need this document in addition to the Certified Marriage Certificate.  It is also needed by the military, INS, and adoption services.

Apostille - This is for the foreign couples who came to Las Vegas to wed.  An Apostille and Certified Marriage Certificate are generally accepted as proof of marriage in most countries.  However, please do your research and contact your local officials to make sure there isn't anything additional you may need to do.